Friday, December 26, 2014

Still a pilot

Long time no write.

What can I say? I'm still an EASA certified pilot. I still have my medical. I still have my Single Engine Piston, Multi Engine Piston and Multi Engine Instrument Rating qualifications.

Money and life options stopped me from continuing flying the beloved Piper Cherokee Arrow 200 and so I went back to the good old Cessna 152. However, my last flight was about two weeks ago to revalidate my ME/IR on a Gulfstream American GA-7 Cougar.


This is a nice piece of equipment. Double 160 HP normal aspirated powerplant, light weight and good handling characteristics. Undoubtedly more stable than the PA34 Piper Seneca. Also it has good avionics that include a GPS.

We flew from Cascais to Montijo airbase to perform an ILS approach in single engine configuration followed by a go around. After that, we proceeded to Santarém for refueling. After refueling, we headed back to Cascais via Ericeira. After Cabo da Roca we entered an 8 DME arc to perform a VOR/DME approach for runway 35 at Cascais.

It was my first experience flying this type of aircraft but it went smoothly. I've remarked that the normal straight and level flight attitude gives me a better viewing area to the outside world (compared to other equivalent aircraft), which is really pleasant. The attitude at approach speed is also good.

This next two months will be challenging as I'm starting the Airbus A320 type rating course at Air France. I've already been in the simulator once for a pre-course assessment and it was great fun. I now have 7 weeks of hard study ahead of me that will end with a flight on the real thing for some touch and go's.

See you guys in Paris!

1 comment: